Monday, January 15, 2007

The problem with Wasps

Apparently, the wasps weren't quite finished with me (see their dastardly deeds in the picture below), so the following day, as I was hauling brush, another of their breed came and stung me in the eyelid. The inflammation was excessive, it felt like someone had stuck a tennis ball under my eyelid. (*)




This photo was taken about 20 minutes after a wasp flew out of it`s nest, and injected it's venom into my cheek with considerable expedition. A subsequent sting to my forhead (see the slightly swollen right eye) gave me the appropriate lopsided appearance! (*)







This week, Alex and I have been working on clearing out the jungle for some fruit orchards. One of the major problems we have encountered is the tremendous amount of wasp nests. We now count ourselves lucky to find a tree without a wasp nest. We have developed a method for dealing with the nests, but sometimes finding out about the nests can be painful.

My face, never overly attractive, was made especially hideous this week by the efforts of the wasps. Of all the places for a wasp to sting you, a face must be the worst!

In the both of these pictures, I was clearing out brush, when the wasps swarmed out and attacked. In the picture of my eye swollen shut, I happened to get 7 other stings in various places around my body.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Gerrans said...

ouch

3:54 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

dude. have you ever heard of slash and burn?
can't you guys just dump gas around and burn a whole section of jungle? I know gas isn't cheap, but it seems like that would make things move quicker--not to mention burning out the wasps.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Alex and I approached the doctor about burning, but he listed two reasons for not wanting to.

1) He seemed to think it would deplete the soil for future fruit trees.

2) The grass is so wet now, that the gas usage would have to be fairly heavy, and so, not cost effective; as opposed to our labors, which are free.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

I see the point, but your labor won't be free forever--you'll be leaving in a few months. If the Dr. wants you to clear a large amount of land, more drastic measures might be needed.
Whatever you do or don't do, I'm proud of your efforts! I'm praying for you

7:06 PM  
Blogger barry said...

John, you have been working so hard that the real answer has escaped you:

start raising termites!

Actually, all suggestions from the US will probably completely irrelevant.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Payne said...

These pictures remind me of some earlier photos of a certain brother of yours and his facial swelling escapades. It seems to run in the family! I hope you didn't have too much pain!

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home