Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Parallels

When I was studying geometry, I learned that the concept of parallel lines is by definition "two straight lines that are equidistant at all points, continuing on indefinitely, but never crossing or diverging". In this blog, I wish to discuss parallelism in the format of ideas, cultures, and band music. Obviously, this definition of parallelism is by necessity more elastic.

It was sabbath, and the four of us (ansley, jackson, alex, and I) set off to hike some of the mountains surrounding Lake Titicaca. This day was also chosen by the police force of Bolivia as an anniversary demonstration. They had tuned their band up the previous night by playing some ponderous marches to the citizens of Copacobana, so we were accordingly prepared for festivities on the day following. As we passed through the further borders of the town, the band broke into an inspiring march, although the various orchestration of winds and brass was superseded by the steady beat of an enthusiastic drummer.

As we climbed, I began to ponder the parallels between the proud strains coming from the military band and the Bolivian political situation. The massive orchestration was comperable to the many strident voices beckoning Bolivias public towards a supposedly brighter future; and the steady beat of the drum represented the pulse of the public, highly patriotic, and steadily pressing on to a future they hope is brighter, although like the drummer, they simply don't know if their orchestraters will follow their hopeful beat.

We climb higher, and a new beat is introduced, it's beginning is indefinable, but is presense is undeniable. The winds and brass momentarily waver, trying to decide which beat to follow, and then confidently strike off in opposing directions, some following one beat, while others follow the other. The resulting chaos is peculiar because of a marked determination among the players to continue on. The parallel is striking. Although the Bolivian public is marching to a beat, the beat is not necessarily unifying. When two (or more)"beats" are introduced, the persons in power are often indecisive, until when they finally strike out on one course of action, the volatile situation is transformed into discord. Despite this, the country struggles on from one note to the next, hoping that somewhere the music will resolve into harmony.

I am an idealist. I am still young enough to think that beneficial concrete changes on a grand scale are a possibility. I therefore hope that somewhere, somehow, Bolivia's economic and political situation will resume a more harmonious tone. The band plays on, and yet the score has yet to be written. Bolivia (in particular) and our world (in general) need good composers. Start composing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ansley said...

It's funny, I was I was climbing that mountain, all I could think was, "goodness, I'm tired," and also, "that music is annoying!" You are amazing, my dear cousin.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Gerrans said...

John you are starting to sound like quite the philosopher!

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep composing.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear me, you're waxing rather poetic. repeat Barry's comment.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John, I enjoyed reading your post. I would be interested to hear your assessment of Bolivian politics. What is your view of the plan to "nationalize" international petroleum and natural gas companies?

5:55 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Forgive any excessivly fluid verbage in this post, I don't have the skill of the master weaver to weave together the loose threads of this post.
Uncle Ted: I'm afraid you are out of my depth. Permit me to do some research and then respond in a more informed manner.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home