Thursday, March 08, 2007

Screwtape


I am in the midst of C.S. Lewis' brilliant work, "The Screwtape Letters". The book is a collection of letters writen by senior tempter "Screwtape", to his devilish young nephew, "Wormwood".
Lewis uses an inverted perspective to enunciate truths which he states in a more traditional and elaborated form in his famous work "Mere Christianity". In one of his diabolical epistles, Uncle Screwtape, in attempting to analyze "The Enemy" (keep in mind who is talking) voices general bewilderment when he states that "after all, he (God), really loves the nasty creatures, and desires to form a disgusting union wherein he becomes one with them, while simultaneously wishing them to retain their personality". (note: I sit in an internet cafe without the book or exact quote, whatever is enclosed in quotation marks is simply as close as I could come to reproducing the thought.)
The object of Screwtapes' laborious counseling is to advise Wormwood on the proper technique for tempting a young man. His counsels run the gammit, both in devilish cunning and diabolical simplicity. Each successive letter leaves me breathlessly rooting for the young man, the force, effort, and brainpower contrived to seduce him into sin seem overwhelming--- except for one thing, "The Enemy". The devils are fighting a losing battle, although not without occasional success and triumph. Their greatest fear, is that the young man will form a genuine, simple connection with God, indeed, it is my greatest hope.
It is tempting for me to use some flashy adjectives in describing this book. Among others, "Breathtaking", "Brilliant", "Stunning", "Thought-Provoking", and "Stimulating" could apply. However, I have neither the inclination nor the academic weight (say --- the New Yorker) to provide such a recommendation. Rather, my best comment will be: Read It.

7 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

I plan to read it when you finish but don't want to loose your precious "bookmark" (for those of you who don't live here there is a bird building a nest in our house over our table - it sings sweetly but leaves nest material, or in this case, bookmarks, all over the table and floor).

10:46 AM  
Blogger barry said...

And I would say read it again!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Petraglyph said...

Here here! This book has definitely been awarded the Petra Houmann Honorary Medal of Read-Agains. It entirely re-directed the course of my spiritual life the first time I read it.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

tis a great book.

I heard you are desperately ill. I'm praying for you.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

finished!

...and I can be added to the list of those who reccomend the book.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Alex told me I should ask you about the girls at km 37 and how they liked your hair. so, what about it?

6:45 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

my hair is out of control. I personally contend that my hair is dectractive, but if my personality trumps, well...... (shrug shoulders)

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home