Sunday, April 01, 2007

Gocta


I must give Alban total credit for these pictures. Although I had recuperated to the extent that I could stagger down the trail (in the rear), I had not the energies to exercise photographic inclination. At least I had the good sense to turn the camera over to Alban, who captured all of the following brilliant photos.


Gocta falls was accessed by steep and treacherous trails, however, it proved well worth the effort. The falls are composed of two cascades, the composite of which seems to be the recorded height. We hiked in to the bottom of the second cascade, although there is also a trail to the upper cascade as well. Anonymity has lent special charm to this experience. Like Cinque Terra in Italy (at least a few years ago), not many people have been to this spectacular natural wonder. In a few years, this sight will be overun by tourists, driving by to snap a picture on the paved road, or the affluent taking a helicopter ride for really spectacular views. As for myself, I was blissfully happy to stumble down the muddy trail in search of an amazing falls which few know anything about.



Gocta.



The Countryside.

The trail, beleive it or not.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

sounds lovely. I'm glad your sickness didn't bar good times

4:54 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Gerrans said...

Now thats my kind of trail! They don't make them like that anymore! :D

5:04 AM  
Blogger barry said...

Adventure on! SAU will be a very different challenge, but the strength of character you gain in Peru will be invaluable.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home